Lately, I’ve been indulging in a particular vegan dish that is so satisfying to eat I had to share it. There is nothing weird about it, except that it’s vegan. I didn’t even intend it to be vegan, it just happens to be. Here it goes:
1. Heat up mixture of seseme oil, chili oil, and regular oil and fry some chopped up ginger. You can peel your ginger ahead of time if you want, but I never do, because it seems like too much work. The heat is medium high.
2. Add the cubed tofu. I use a full brick of “extra firm.” Let the edges of the tofu get a little brown.
3. I had some old radishes in the fridge so I added that too! My tofu is getting a little tore up here, I don’t give a fuck.
4. Here’s the sauce for this stir fry. It’s just miso paste and water. That’s it. Stir it around so that the paste is smooth and runny. It looks like I used about a 1/4 cup of miso paste here and an arbitrary amount of water.
5. Add that to the sauce to the pan. That shit is gonna bubble and sizzle!
6. Add the sugar snap peas! Add these later than sooner! I like when they JUST turn bright green and are still crispy.
7. Those little black pubes are HIJIKI seaweeds. It adds more body to the flavor.
8. I served this over a bed of freshly steamed premium short-grain japanese white rice. And then I put a hard boiled egg on top, but I suppose that can be optional.
I do not even think about meat when I eat this.