Hi everybody!! This is Thu. Me and Danny B made some cookies a little bit ago that I dubbed “Lemon Devastators!!!” The recipe is quite simple. I simply took a Martha Stewart recipe for Lemon Poppyseed Cookies, and replaced the poppyseeds for about a quarter ounce of very finely mortared and pestled OREGANO. Oh yeah and food dye for fun!
Here is Martha’s Lemon Poppyseed Cookie recipe with my modifications:
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, plus 3 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest (2 to 3 lemons)
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 oz oregano, finely mortared and pestled (or chopped or food processed)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bring lemon juice to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook until reduced by half. Add 1 stick butter; stir until melted. Add the oregano to the butter and allow it to simmer over a very low heat for an hour or two until the herb becomes very fragrant.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Cream remaining stick butter and 1 cup sugar on medium speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix in egg and lemon butter. Mix until pale, about 3 minutes. Mix in vanilla and 2 teaspoons zest. Mix in flour mixture and poppy seeds.
- Stir together remaining 1/2 cup sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons zest. Roll spoonfuls of dough into 1 1/2-inch balls; roll them in sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Press each with the flat end of a glass dipped in sugar mixture until 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle with seeds.
- Bake until just browned around bottom edges, 10 to 11 minutes. Transfer to wire racks; let cool completely. Store in an airtight container up to 1 week.
- nesquik strawberry syrup
- a big squirt of high quality green food dye